Colonel Anthony Franks is the Vice Commander of the 94th Airlift Wing, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Georgia. The wing is equipped with eight C-130H3 cargo aircraft that support joint service and multinational airlift missions both in the United States and around the world. The wing is comprised of over 2,500 personnel, and includes a
headquarters element, three groups and 13 squadrons.
Colonel Franks received his U.S. Air Force commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in June 1999 and graduated Undergraduate Pilot
Training in December 2000. After serving more than 8 years on active duty, he joined the U.S. Air Force Reserve in 2008. A command pilot with more than 4,000 military flying hours in 6 different aircraft, he has flown combat missions in nearly every major worldwide contingency during the past 19 years. He has served in a variety of positions and assignments throughout his military career, working in Air Combat Command (2 deployments), Air Force Special Operations Command, Air Mobility Command (2 deployments), Air Education and Training Command, and Joint Special Operations Command (3 deployments).
Colonel Franks is also a United Airlines First Officer rated in the Boeing 757 and 767.
1999 Bachelor of Science, US Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of Science, Southwestern Assemblies of God University, Waxahachie, Tex.
2010 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence), Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Master of Arts, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. December 1999-December 2000, Student Pilot, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. Jan 2000-Jan 2004, B-52 Pilot, 96th Bomber Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
3. Feb 2004-May 2004, T-37 Student Pilot, T-37 Instructor Pilot Training, Randolph AFB, Tex.
4. June 2004-August 2004, T-37 Instructor Pilot, 33rd Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Ok.
5. September 2004-October 2005, Flight Commander, 33rd Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Ok.
6. November 2005-December 2005, T-6 Student Pilot (Distinguished Graduate), T-6 Instructor Pilot Training,
Randolph AFB, Tex.
7. December 2005-May 2006, Flight Commander, 33rd Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Ok.
8. June 2006-December 2006, Executive Officer, 71st Operations Group, Vance AFB, Ok.
9. December 2006-December 2007, Ass’t Operations Officer, 33rd Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Ok.
10. January 2008-May 2008, C-130 Student Pilot, C-130 Pilot Training, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
11. June 2008-September 2010, C-130 Aircraft Commander, 95th Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, Nc.
12. September 2010-October 2010, C-130 Student Pilot, C-130 Instructor Pilot Training, Little Rock AFB, Ak.
13. October 2010-November 2011, Ass’t Flight Commander & C-130 Instructor Pilot, 95th Airlift Squadron,
Pope AFB, Nc.
14. December 2010-October 2014, Fixed Wing Mission Planner, Aviation Tactics Evaluation Group, Joint
Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, Nc.
15. November 2011-December 2013, Chief Pilot, 95th Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, Nc.
16. January 2014-November 2014, Ass’t Operations Officer, Chief Pilot & C-130 Evaluator Pilot, 95th Airlift
Squadron, Pope Field, Nc.
17. November 2014-June 2016, Commander, 440th Operation Support Squadron (OSS), Pope Field, Nc.
18. August 2015-June 2016, Special Projects Officer, 724 Special Tactics Group, Joint Special Operations
Command, Fort Bragg, Nc.
19. July 2016-May 2017, Student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
20. July 2016-June 2018, Operations Staff Officer, 22 Air Force, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
21. June 2017-Present, Director of Operations, AF Cyber College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
22. June 2018-May 2019, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to Director, 3/4/5 USAF Expeditionary Center, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, Nj.
23. May 2019-December 2020, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to Director, Cyber and C4 Systems at Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fl.
24. December 2020-Present, Vice Commander, 94th Airlift Wing, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
Rating: Command Pilot, Evaluator/Instructor Pilot
Flight Hours: 4005.8
Aircraft Flown: B-52, C-130H, F-16, T-6, T-37, T-38.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and five oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with Star
Iraq Campaign Medal with Star
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with Star
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with 'N' Device
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border & three oak leaf clusters
AF Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 'M' Device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with Star
AF Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, 2 June 1999
First Lieutenant, 2 June 2001
Captain, 2 June 2003
Major, 29 February 2008
Lieutenant Colonel, 15 August 2013
Colonel, 26 June 2018
(Current as of 2 December 2020)